Praying is such a fundamental component of being a Christian. Unfortunately, in today’s world, we seem to be doing this less and less. Being a better Christian and Catholic is one of the things I’m personally working on. My relationship with Jesus always seems to have its highs and then it kind of plateaus. I’m trying to be a better person all around and this area is so critical to having a happier and more fulfilled life.
Marriage is such a sacred relationship, a relationship like no other. Many of us pray for our husbands and/or wives, but why not do it together? If I want to have a better relationship with God, then why not have a better relationship with my spouse?
What would you do if you heard your spouse praying out loud? Do you think if you heard their prayers to God you might be more understanding to their pleas to improve? What about if you heard them thank God for you and everything you do for your family?
In truth, I tell you once again if two of you on earth agree to ask anything at all, it will be granted to you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.’ Matthew 18:19-20
We’ve all heard the saying that God should be the center of all marriages. Well, Dustin and I are so excited to begin praying together every night. We’ve decided to put our phones down, turn off the TV, PlayStation (ahem), and spend some time together praying. The following are the 5 main things we will be praying for:
- Protection Of Our Marriage: This is something so important that many people might not realize. Do you protect your marriage as if it was a child? Do you protect it from others that could potentially harm it or of distractions? Your marriage is the foundation of your family and we need to make sure we protect it at all times and work to make it stronger as well. A good foundation has to be laid with such care so that when a storm comes you know it can withstand the tough times.
- Family Or Future Family: Pray for the family that God has given you. Thank God for all the blessing he has given you..health, jobs, etc. Pray for God’s help to lead and guide your family. Pray that Gad makes your more like him so that your children can follow your example and not only by your words.
- Discernment: When we have big decisions in our lives we tend to make those decisions alone. Many times we make them for selfish reasons, not fully understanding the repercussions our decisions have on our spouse and kids. Why not pray WITH your spouse to God to help him guide you and your family in the best direction.
- Use Our Family As A Vessel: One of God’s greatest tools is us. Give God the permission to use your family as a tool or vessel to help lead others to Him.
- Pray To Be More Like Jesus: We are sinners and imperfect. But God loves us anyway. Pray to be more like him. Pray for patience, to be more forgiving, humble, and thankful.
Whether it has been a while since you’ve prayed or if you pray every night, it’s time to take the challenge and pray with your spouse on a daily basis. Try this for 5 days and see if there are any changes in your marriage. Comment below if you’re up for the challenge!